God gave us commandments to teach us how to love God and one another. We can find the commandments in the Bible. They can help guide our examination of conscience.
1. I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have any other gods besides me.
Do I love God with all my heart? Am I truly thankful for the gift of God's love for me? Do I show this by loving others?
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain.
Do I ever use God's or Jesus' name when I am angry? Do I always use the names of God and Jesus with respect and love?
3. Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.
Do I honor God by what I do on Sundays? Do I spend time in prayer with my family and with the people of God, the Church, at Mass?
4. Honor your father and mother.
Do I love, respect, and obey my parents and others who care for me? Do my words and actions show this all the time?
5. You shall not kill.
Do I show respect for the gift of life by caring for all of God's creatures, especially people? Have I ever wanted to harm or hurt anyone?
6. You shall not commit adultery.
Do I respect my own body and the bodies of others as gifts from God? Do I use my body in ways that would please God?
7. You shall not steal.
Have I ever take something that belongs to someone else? Am I as careful with other people's things as I am with my own things?
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
Do I always tell the truth? Do I ever lie or hurt anyone by what I say?
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
Am I ever jealous of someone else's family? Am I grateful for the love that my own family shows me?
10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.
Am I thankful for all that I have? Am I ever jealous or greedy?
You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, with your whole soul, with your whole mind.
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.